Location: NC State University, Raleigh NC
Architect: Kling Architects (now Jacobs)
Contract Amount: $1,753,868
Formerly named the Flex Lab Building, the 54,745 square feet Varsity Research Building includes various research units. It now houses the North Carolina Clean Energy Technology Center; Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Science Department; North Carolina Sea Grant; and Water Resources Research Institute.
Holt Brothers Construction was the general contractor for the upfit of a lab space in the building for the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences’ Department of Soil Science. The lab broadly explores the ways in which researchers can better manage plant-soil-microbe relationships in order to enhance soil fertility. The crop and soil lab project included HVAC and plumbing upgrades, new electrical service, an alarm system and four lab spaces. The lab spaces feature several eyewash stations, glass racks, electrical plug-ins above the counters, and several overhead connections. Adjacent restroom renovations were included in the project as well.
- Sullivan Hall, NC State University
- Varsity Research Building Upfit
- Reynolds Coliseum + Walk of Fame
- School of Dental Medicine Fourth Floor Renovation
- Wake Tech RTP Campus – Innovation Center + Parking Lot
- Lee Residence Hall Renovation, NC State University
- Thomas Hall Renovations
- Public Safety Renovation, Phase III
- College of Veterinary Medicine Anatomy Lab C121 Renovation
- Bragaw Hall Renovations